Thursday, October 1, 2009

Commodity Culture and the Exclusivity of the World Wide Web

IDEELI Pictures, Images and Photos ideeli banner Pictures, Images and Photos

A little while ago, I was searching for internships in the fashion industry (because I have the disease of consumerism and need benefits), and I chanced upon a company called Ideeli. Ideeli is an invitation-only luxury sample-seller, which allows people to buy clothing from really cool designers for less than normal prices. Lucky had a banner in their magazine allowing their readers to "gain access" to such an exclusive seller. I can't lie that it attracted me when I saw their banner. I thought, "Aha! Now I can buy all the expensive stuff I want!" I couldn't wait to flaunt my treasures to all my friends and snicker at the thought of their jealousy. And then I went on the website.

The way it is set up is that there are special sample sales at certain times. It is free for anyone who joins (and had the code to get in) but in order to beat your fellow shoppers, you should probably pay the monthly fees for "first class" status. That way you get a VIP pass to shop early and know about the sales and giveaways in advance. I couldn't help nbut laugh at the way companies market commodities.

It's just like Marx and Benjamin say. In order for companies to survive under capitalism, they have to provide some incentive to the consumer beyond its actual use value. If I was to buy a Louis Vuitton bag for $1000 or $300 on sale, I still wouldn't use it as much as my book bag for school or reusable shopping bag for running errands. It's ridiculous for me to me to pay money so I can spend money faster than before.

The idea is that the items are so special, so exclusive, that you just have to have them. It's commodity fetishism at its finest. Ideeli is ideally giving you the greater advantage at getting these things that you would possibly be unable to afford or find, and it is reminding you, that as a middle class citizen, there is a whole beautifully luxurious world just beyond your reach. (I saw ads for Ideeli on Facebook and they proudly announce being featured in Oprah's magazine.Subliminal message: This is for you, Middle America. So much for exclusivity.)

I think in the ideal world, they'd just give it all away for free. But then they wouldn't so special then would they?


Click Here To Find Out How Ideeli Is All Up In The News

No comments:

Post a Comment