Friday, October 16, 2009

The Demand for Niche Markets in Media

This week's discussion of media really got me thinking about narrowcasting and niche markets. Last semester, I took Business of Media with Ted Magder and we discussed in depth the increase in niche markets across every sector of media. While it is pretty clear why the media caters to niche demographics, I figure that they didn't just randomly decide to do it... that somewhere along the line, there had to be a demand for such programming, publications, etc. What I am really interested in is what hegemonic process had to go on to cause this demand... I am not really sure what the answer is, but I am speculating that it has to do with an increased emphasis on individuality. I know that growing up, I was told over and over by teachers, my parents, television shows that I was unique and important. I am sure some of you have had similar experiences. I think that this emphasis on individuality could potentially be powerful enough to create demand for niche markets. I could be way off base here and I am sure that there are other factors, but it was just something I was pondering.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Niche Media is a publishing company whose business model is to cater to niche markets, mostly wealthy and educated consumers in certain regions.

No comments:

Post a Comment