Friday, November 20, 2009

Your biological clock is ticking...

I wish I could actually find the commercial I am writing about because it is so hilarious (but also scary). I'm sure you've all seen those First Response pregnancy test commercials... Well, I recently saw one and I was blown away by how perfectly it lended itself to the curriculum. The commercial featured three women asking questions about their pregnancy. One of the women asked "have I waited too long?" I know that some women are concerned with their biological clocks, but this woman was 25, maybe 30 at the oldest, so her wondering if she had waited too long to have kids was absurd. This commercial promoted the hegemonic ideal that all women want to get pregnant/have kids and it creates the sense that ALL women should be concerned with the fact that our biological clocks are ticking away. Equally as interesting was the fact that it played during an episode of Say Yes to the Dress (don't judge!!!), a show that gives viewers a glimpse into the inner workings of a bridal salon. It only makes sense that First Response would air their commercial during a time slot that is sure to attract lots of women frantic to get married and have babies. Other commercials that tend to air during this time slot are commercials for shopping and jewelry. No wonder there are so many bridezillas out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment