Friday, November 6, 2009

Hegemony In Broadway


So last night I watched Chicago the musical and surprisingly it was not that good. It might have been the cast but the musical did not blow my mind at all. It was not good as good as the New York Times had hyped it up to be at all. The characters in the show were not as talented as I thought and their voices as well did not blow my mind. It was kind of a shocker, I had paid about $80 dollars to see this musical and didn't feel the quality was worthy paying for. And I started to wonder if we just like musicals because it is what the upper-class like to watch and enjoy in their leisure time. The rich spend tons of money getting the perfect seat for the spectacular musical and get dressed up all fancy to watch these shows. Do we really enjoy the musical, ballets and operas we attend? Or is it just the act of going to musical and telling people that we watched a musical?

The way the rich think definitely influences peoples action. Because the rich make an object, TV show or sports activity so fun and high class, we want to do these things as well. In a materialistic world I feel Americans strive to be rich and act rich when in reality they may not enjoy the things the rich are really doing. It just looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment