Thursday, November 19, 2009

Victoria's Secret on TV


As I was watching a bunch of shows on TV tonight (Survivor, Grey's Anatomy and Project Runway), I was faced with a bunch of ads from Victoria's Secret. They are pushing their new line called Miraculous Push-up. I saw the ad at least five times in the span of three hours, maybe more. Their tagline is "Hello Bombshell." It is obvious that Victoria's Secret is working very hard to launch this new bra, as they always do, and to get people to be interested and go buy! But besides the fact that I saw this ad so many times I also realized that every ad is very sexualized and the models wear practically nothing. Obviously the models are only wearing bras and panties, and since this is a push-up bra, their boobs are hanging out of the bra basically. It is actually kind of shocking that we allow these ads on TV, what would a young child think? I guess they shouldn't be up this late? I realized that I am basically desensitized to these images and am no longer shocked that the VS models wear practically nothing on TV. These images are appearing to us in an attempt to suck women into buying this new push-up bra and to get the men to go get it for their woman or suggest it. I'm always surprised and impressed by the number of men I always see when I go to the VS store. I think it is pretty brave to buy lingerie for your significant other, but obviously it is benefitting both parties I guess so men are willing to do it. The ads also appeal to any guy sitting on a couch because the models are good looking, very skinny and their boobs are basically hanging out. I just think it is interesting because we would never see a man walking in his underwear on TV. This just doesn't happen. Instead women parade around in their underwear but men don't get to. It is strange to me that it is ok for women to be partially nude on TV, but men never do it. I'm not saying they should, but then again I'm not sure it's appropriate that women do it either.

Here is the ad that I saw a bunch of times...it is showing us the new Miraculous Push-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJiBsAjA22E

No comments:

Post a Comment