Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gone Too Far and Intervention Shows

After reading the previous post about the show The Hoarders, I thought of a show that I have been watching on MTV called Gone Too Far. It is an intervention show where teenagers families have signed them up so that they can talk with DJ AM and then stage an intervention. This show is very gripping and really sucks you in. It is also disgusting and makes me sick to watch sometimes as they put needles into their arms or look like they are going to pass out or OD. It is kind of sickening to me that this is entertainment, yet I have found myself caught up in watching it. I feel really badly for the families involved and I like to see a success story. I guess it is also probably entertaining because I have no idea what it is like to be strung out on all of those drugs, so it is a completely foreign thing for me to watch. But, after watching the show I am grossed about by their hygiene for one thing. They use dirty needles, never appear to be very clean, they have burn marks all over there clothes and sheets, they have scars and ruined veins. These people are obviously not taking care of themselves in the ways that imperialism has shown us is how we should be, clean. These people are so focused on drugs, that they don't have time to let imperialist thought or ideas about being clean and healthy get in their way. These ideas that have been forced into our minds don't exist in their heads for the most part. It is only when their family members step in and tell them how gross they look or how disgusting it is, that they may shape up and realize. It is just fascinating to me that this is entertainment on TV today. I am very guilty of watching it and I think it is horrible yet riveting. There are many other intervention shows on TV and it is all pretty disgusting and obviously is a very important life or death issue for many people. The fact that these people are on the brink of losing their battle to addiction makes the show more addicting which is sick in its own right, but it is also very rewarding to watch them succeed and overcome their addiction at least for a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment