Friday, September 18, 2009

"Keep Your Government Hands off My Medicare"

So I know I already posted once, but I read this article in my PR class and it immediately spoke to our study of language, semiotics, and the depiction of political issues in the media. I've only been listening to Obama's side of the heatlh-care debate for some time now, and I was wondering why so many people were so angry about such a beneficial change. Well Newsweek seems to explain it all in this article: Attack! The Truth About Obamacare

Basically, Republicans (and other dissenters) are using the language of fear to turn the public against the idea of healthcare reform. Whereas Obama is making simple truth claims to drum up support, opposers are screaming bloody murder.I think my favorite line of the piece was the anecdote about the guy that yelled "Keep Your Government Hands off My Medicare" at a town hall meeting. Seriously? Medicare is ran by the government. Their hands have been places you don't even want to know, guy.

But really, propoganda is a scary thing, and to know that even in this age of modernity and supposed enlightenment, we're constantly falling for the trap. ALL THE TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment