Thursday, September 17, 2009

Commercial

I’m sure you are all aware of the show “Gossip Girl”. I hate to admit it but I am an avid fan. Before this glorious season started they had put out a certain trailer to advertise it.

Link Below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7__B1uEKs

This commercial seemed to be directed at the younger generation. After any exciting or risqué sneak preview they would put the acronym “WTF” on the screen. I found this quite humorous because we all know what that actually stands for. By doing this they were able to create a very clear message in the viewers mind of the point they were trying to get across, without having to spell out anything vulgar or socially unacceptable for television to display. After about 3 times of doing this they tried to show that it stood for “Watch This Fall” …clearly this is not what anyone would assume when first seeing it. I suppose they did this for a certain shock value, or perhaps they intended to make you remember the commercial.

Since I was already a fan before I saw the ad I’m unaware of it’s potential to hook new viewers. However, I feel that this commercial would definitely catch the attention of anyone watching, even if they happened to hate the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment