Thursday, September 17, 2009

GLEE

I'm not sure if this is the right place for the blogging assignment, but I'll try for it. We were talking the other day in class about appropriating certain images and changing them in a way to create something new, while still keeping the original in mind. I think that idea can apply to media outside visual images. I'm a huge dork, and I'm obsessed with the new Fox show "Glee" with Jane Lynch and other actors who played more on the Broadway circuit rather than television. The whole concept of the show is that a bunch of misfit high school students get together to form this glee club, where they sing popular songs like Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" in competitions. Glee fans, including myself, were thrilled when these covered songs appeared on iTunes and people were able to buy them. I was wondering about the ownership of these songs. Any cover band that sings someone else's songs in a bar or a similar venue doesn't have to pay a royalty, but since these songs are being broadcast, does Fox have to pay the artist to use the song? DISCUSS!

ps...here's a link to the video should you want to get your freak on to "Don't Stop Believing"

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en&q=don't%20stop%20believing%20glee&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

1 comment:

  1. I would be willing to bet that FOX in fact paid a HUGE amount of money in order to record those tunes.

    ReplyDelete