Friday, September 25, 2009

Interpellation of Sprite: Obey Your Thirst

I think interpellation is one of the key terms that stuck with me this past week. I never have really thought about it before and was struck by the idea that indeed ads are trying to call out to you, to grab your specific attention and then they hope you connect with the product and want to BUY, BUY, BUY! Before I go into a more specific ad campaign, I just wanted to note that the pop up ads online are doing this all the time. Most of them say, "YOU have just won a free iPod." They are flashy and in your face and are telling you that you won. At first (when they first started appearing) I was sucked in and thought that there was some truth to it, so I played along. Now thankfully I am smart enough to realize that every person with a computer gets the same message and THEY have just won as well.

One advertising campaign I can think of that is particularly speaking to You is Sprite. There slogan is "Obey your thirst." They have successfully used this slogan for as long as I can remember and sometimes it really does make me think about if I am thirsty or not. Needless to say I am not a huge Sprite fan so I wouldn't necessarily grab a Sprite if I'm thirsty. In a lot of there ads also people turn into water or dive into water when they drink sprite. I guess humans are mostly water, so by obeying one's thirst, we are more hydrated and turn into water?? Well, most of the commercials show people who are obviously thirsty grab a Sprite and chug it, so I would say it is relatively good advertising based on their slogan. This ad speaks directly to the thirsty consumer, saying that indeed they should go get a drink and rehydrate. My question is, doesn't soda make you more dehydrated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yteHo6vAdwE

While researching I also found this ad that is a banned Sprite ad which I guess was pulled off of the air. A girl and guy are swimming on a remote beach, she takes off her bathing suit bottoms, tosses them to him and then gets out and grabs a Sprite Zero. Hmm I'm wondering how this has anything to do with Sprite...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNC2kcDfQ8M

On another random note, I watched the Grey's Anatomy season premiere last night. I'm not going to lie it was a little bit obnoxious how many commercials there were in 2 hours. It seemed ridiculous, but maybe it was just because I was paying more attention now. Either way, super annoying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment